Monday, January 10, 2005

Penang - Dec 2004

Was supposed to blog bout my Penang trip a while ago but just never got down to it. So here it is.
26th December 2004
Left KL after lunch since we were busy packing up and all. Was on the highway for over an hour when my handphone rang while i was dozing off. It was Felicia.
"Hey, are u in Penang yet?"
"No. Still on the highway."
"Penang is a DISASTER zone! There were tidal waves! Don't go to the coastal roads!"
(ok fine, I really can't remember EXACTLY what she said. but it was along those lines.)
huh? I was a bit blur so when i hung up and told my parents my dad was like:
"Huh?! TIDAL WAVES?! PENANG?! Where was the earthquake?"
So we didn't really put much thought into it. Until... my brother called us a couple of hours later when we were about an hour's drive away from Penang.
"Eh. Penang got hit my tsunami. Where are u?"
(he didn't get to go with us cos he's working, in case you were wondering.)
So all three of us were scratching our heads. Reached the Penang bridge later and as usual, there was a big traffic jam. Just too many cars. Turned on the radio just in time to hear bout the earthquake which caused the tidal waves or tsunami.
Thank goodness none of my relatives were affected since most of them are not staying at the affected areas. Only the north and west parts of Penang were hit by the tidal waves. Luckily the Penang bridge is on the east side.
Also, luckily we decided to stay at my cousin's apartment which is far away from the affected areas.
My cousin was lying in bed in the morning and felt the earth moved. She quickly got up and went and sat down in the living room. Think she got a bit frightened, unaware of what actually happened.
By the way, my aunt was oblivious as to what was happening. Even with her having Astro (cable tv). 0_O
27th December 2004
Didn't manage to really sleep last night. Was drifting off to sleep when I heard...
"Para bailar la bamba,Para bailar la bamba,Se necesito una poca de gracia..."
YES. SOMEONE WAS SINGING AWFULLY LOUD AND JUST, AWFULLY.
There's actually this open hawker centre where they think it's nice and fun to torture people until the wee hours of the morning with their horrible singing.
My dad actually woke up at 7 in the morning. Cos the room where he was sleeping gets the morning sun and since the apartment has no curtains (don't ask me why) he HAD to wake up early. and took this picture. And yes, I made him sleep on his own cos I was a bit scared to sleep on my own. Heh
Sunrise, sunrise, looks like morning in your eyes...
Mom wanted to go to Gurney Plaza which is located well, near Gurney Drive. But changed her mind after deciding that we should not go near that area. So guess where we went on the first day we were in Penang? TESCO. YEP. The hypermarket near my grandma's house. It was quite funny actually cos my mom was worried
"Eh, don't park in the basement if they have one."
"Why you wanna park so close to this side. The sea is just over there! Park further away!"
Hahaha she's funny sometimes. But not as funny as how she refered tsunami as tsuMAni twice. Even her sister said that.
The whole reason of us heading to Penang was to celebrate my popo's bday. Ate at this restaurant called "One One Eight". In cantonese it means "prosperous everyday" or something like that. The food was not bad and so was the cake.
Mom wanted to go back tomorrow but somehow, all her sisters managed to change her mind.
28th December 2004
Will the torturous singing ever stop?! I heard "Last night i dreamt of some blah blah blah..."(Some madonna song)
WELL. If only I had a chance to DREAM at all.
Spent the afternoon in my popo's house. Cos no one else was around and she wasn't feeling well.
Then dad drove us to town and we ate err...dinner? at 5 something.
ladies and gentlemen, at the top we have ROJAK BUAH, followed by MAMAK MEE GORENG on the bottom left and ICE KACANG.
apom jagung (corn) and banana apom was tea
Then later at night we had dinner. HAH! we were such pigs! ate too much!
Dad managed to take this picture and lots more from the balcony of the apartment.
my dad really took that picture! no kidding!!! ^0^
We were near the airport and he wanted to take a pic of the plane taking off but everytime it does take off, he's not ready. hahaha
29th December 2004
Left for KL after lunch at TESCO (yes, again). Well PENANG was incredibly hot that my dad insisted we went somewhere cool for lunch.
So that was my trip. While we were there, everytime we ate at a shop, people everywhere were talking bout the tsunami. Sigh, lots of rumours were spread around. You are entitled to believe it or not.
Mainly just wanted to show you guys some pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home